- Celebrities you should know: Painter <strong>Marks Rotko</strong> from Daugavpils. Cinematographer <strong>Sergejs Eizenšteins</strong> from Riga. Riga's New Theatre director <strong>Alvis Hermanis</strong>.
- Historical figures: English philosopher <strong>Isaiah Berlin</strong> was born in Riga.
- Capital City: Riga
- Currency: 1 Euro = 100 cents
- Government: Parliamentary democracy
- International dialling code: +371
- Internet: .lv
- Population: 2 million
- Religion: Mostly non-religious. Large minorities of Christians (Lutheran and Orthodox).
- Languages and foreigners: Older Latvians speak Russian and around one third of the population speak it natively. German was the most popular foreign language, replaced by English for the generation in their 30s or younger. Many in the larger towns speak some English, but interpreters often assist in business meetings.
- Sports: Ice hockey